Saturday, December 5, 2020

Faced With Mysteries Dark and Vast

No real updates in Jund land at the moment. I've been pretty busy with work but I don't have a ton of changes I would make to the deck. I really like where it's at, and honestly feel like I'm a favorite in every matchup I play.  Link.

Chevill continues to be incredible. I can't really imagine playing a deck without him. Don't know what else to say about him really. He wins games that you have no business winning. It's like if Shadowmage Infiltrator gained you three life a turn and cost 2 mana.


Chandra has been excellent, but I think that what I really found out by playing Chandra is that a four-mana Planeswalker works really well in this deck, as long as it has an ability that can kill a creature. Chandra is the best at that, but having one copy each of Vraska and Liliana lets us have a little bit of diversity, and lets us get around the legend rule. Casting a Chandra on turn four and then a Liliana on the next turn is a sequence you can't do when you have only Chandras in your deck.


I think we utilize Castle Locthwain really well, which is important. I think this kind of deck needs a little extra oomph from its lands, kind of like playing Raging Ravine or Treetop Village in Modern. We're set up to maximize Castle for a few reasons. One is that our cards are cheap and we can empty our hand pretty quickly so that we don't lose life, but that also helps our ability to actually cast those cards. It's essentially four mana to use it, so your mana is a little tied up. Secondly, it is an uncounterable and un-Thoughtseizable value engine in the matchups where your life total isn't as critical. We're not as good at raw card draw as Uro and Teferi decks might be, but we can leverage our tempo, point and click discard their important stuff, and then keep pace on cards later on with Castle. We are good at getting both decks into topdeck mode, and when that happens, Castle is one of the best topdecks you can have. Castle wins a lot of games and I think it's worth shoehorning a few into your mana base.


Inscription has been excellent. This kind of versatility usually comes at a steep mana cost, but all of these effects are solid enough for three mana, especially when you consider how good returning a Scavenging Ooze to the battlefield is against a lot of decks. It's not the flashiest thing ever, but it gets the job done.

~

That's about it for today. I think this list right now is as tuned as it's ever been and I don't want to make any changes to the 75. I think my next move soon here is to work on Pioneer on Magic Online, but we'll see. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment