Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Few More Zendikar Hits

 




I think that this card is exceptional, but I also think that you can't really play it in the Claim the Firstborn format. It's really too bad, because this thing does everything we want. It's a low-ish mana investment, it has reasonable stats, and it loves getting into combat with opposing creatures. It's like a toned-down Thragtusk, and that's a pretty great place to be, unless, like I said, the two top decks in the format all play Claim the Firstborn and sacrifice outlets.


Here's the first, and I think only, double faced card that I'm really interested in, and it's a real nice one. The rate on this is solid enough, and attacking for potentially 5 is a really nice spot against things like Teferi. It certainly does close the game quickly if you have the lands, which is fine because if you're casting it as a creature then you probably will have the lands. Double green is not our favorite, but you know what? If you don't have the double green for it, you'll have it for the next one you draw. I'm guessing that at least a few of these have a spot in the deck.


I don't think that this is a Historic card, at least not for us, but how about Jund in Modern? I've talked about the graveyard trap before, where a lot of Jund's cards are good because of how they utilize the graveyard, but the more you lean on that the better our opponent's graveyard hate becomes. Channeler seems like it's still totally fine against a Rest in Peace, and even if you don't warp the list to maximize on instants and sorceries, Channeler helps fuel itself, first by discarding unused spells, and second by digging for more. I would even go so far as to say that this is a card that's tailor-made for Modern in general, since decks are often so focused and sideboard cards are so good. You can discard your blanks and help dig into your hate cards. I'm talking myself into it while sitting here writing, but it still just might be too slow to work in Modern for Jund. We'll have to see, but the potential is there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment